Monday, February 20, 2006

Day 1 in college - Land of the unknown

well, i had another blog where i had penned down - the first year of my college. But no point in wasting space/blog in the webworld....i shall put down over here, whatever i had penned there. so here goes...my day 1 in college!!

It was something of a different feeling altogether the day i entered the well known reputed college of R.E.C.-Trichy!!



Didnt know how i was going to survive there. For a person who has spent 18 years of pretty much a posh life in the gulf enjoying the air-conditioned rooms, travel by cars and food in the likes of KFC, HArdees, Pizza huts and Mcdonalds, it was a drastic change to take up...an man didnt i dread the place for the first one week...!!it was hell on earth for me..the heat was unbearable!!frankly it was not much of heat compared to deserts of gulf but then i was missin the A/C's which had shielded me from the heat for 18 years.!!anyway...after settlin down myself in the room Agate - 7...I went to the mess...and man that was the Biggest MESS i had seen!! (for those who didnt get it...the mess - where we eat- was a total mess).Anyway somehow had something and ran out of that place...!!you can imagine the agony of a guy surrounded by strangers in a land which was absolutely new to him..!!
on my way to the room..i met my first senior - Johnnie George..he had the typical - bollywood villian looks with scars on his face...completely bald and a very straight stern face!!he talked a bit rude for sometime and then left me!!and innocent little me (hmmm) thought...i was done with the ragging abt which i had heard lots n lots of horrifyin stories from seniors in school and family..!!was not i glad at that moment that i had got thru the worst phase ( this was to extend upto next one whole year - though then i didnt know that). I just ran to my room and covered myself in blanket and slept scared that if i roamed arnd too much i would face ragggin again..!!didnt even bother to introduce myself to my room mates!!
next day mornin i got up at 5:00 am..nothin unusual then for me..took bath and was ready for my first day of engineering at 7:00 am itself:-)That day i made my firt friend in college...T.Shivashankar - later called by everyone as BABA - This guy was actually innocent, had his father with him for the first couple of days. he was from kanyakumari/nagercoil region !!
then there was another uy by the name Udayakumar in my room. This guy had a slight squeaky voice and his dad stayed with him for one week..!!man!that was the only time i actually ever missed my parents a lot...in my 23 yrs of life so far!!i envied all these guys for their parents being with them!!anyway I used this guys' dad as a guide for me to go to bank and open my account!!!
Let me describe the way to the bank from the first year hostels...!!it was a long stretch of road with almost all the senior hostels fallin in the way...!!there was not a way you could avoid a senior and go to bank and be back.>!!now u understand my plight fornot havin my dad with me.>!:-)) anyway went with Udaya's dad to the bank..opened my account and back with him...!!on the way..there were a humpty number of seniors who cast their evil eyes on this poor lamb me!!me just looked down and continued my walk...never dared to look back at anyone..!!
Class was ok the first day...had this impression that this would be real huge rooms with 100's of students in each class...but all my impressions completely went wrong when i entered the class for the first time - Section B. It was a small room similar to the ones we had in school and we had hardly 60 in a class and all my hopes of a college romance also went down the drain when i saw the girls of my class...not that they were bad lookin but someohow the thought of having BABES in my class whom i would have loved hanging out with...ended right then ...right there!!All this thoughts courtesy the movies "Kuch kuch hotha hain" "pyar mein kabhi kabhi" etc..etc...i had thought i would be sitting on the college balconies, gardens singing "musu musu " and so many other fun songs and romantic songs and all i got was a Green colured steel bench in the class with hardly any greenery (forget the garden) and girls who interested me in the least bit in my class..!! if someone had shown me a cliff or something at that point of time..i would have happily taken a jump then!!Imagine what must have been runnin thru my mind!!!:-)
then came our teachers one by one..and only one who was of some interest was Miss Hilda - our physics teacher..who was a paka thambi in talk but pretty looking..!!and once again my hopes came alive...!!imagine having an afair with a teacher!!amazing at that moment!!:-)) but then interest in her took a steep curve downwards after we heard her talk..!!one of her most quoted dialogues were "You come to the room. We will spend time together"...this was her response when of the guys asked her some complicated doubts..!!She was just intending to ask him to come to the staff room where she would clear her doubts..!!but the perverted minds of the adolescents sittin in the class -...imagination runs wild:-)!!guess she never had even the slightest clue of the inner literal meanin of her statement!!!anyway...that was that..after that..none of us dared to ask her doubts for the fear of gettin a similar statement from her and then being ragged by fellow mates on the same lines;-))))
those were the dayssssss...in short...first day of college - disaster day!!

No comments: