Wednesday, March 01, 2006

D-day - gone and another day Dawns!!

The long wait is finally over and I didnt make it through ISB. Feb 28th was a looong wait for everyone in India - there was ofcourse the Budget 2006 be presented by hon. finance minister Chidambaram but then for few 2000 others, it was the day when the results of the Round 2 of ISB were to be announced!!And surprise, they had already sent the admmit mails on previous day. This i came to know when i checked the isb-pgp yahoo group mails, where ppl where throwing arnd "Congrats" and "i am thru" mails..
Anyway then started the wait for the "waitlisted" mail which was due to be sent on 28th. And lo - that day too bygone with not even a single mail!! So there goes ISB into the horizon, once again (i was a re-applicant from last yr). Just heard today that Anuj got a "waitlisted" mail. Hope n pray the best for that dude.
Well this was not to be just another D-day, there was more to come. I got into office and came to know that they were sending promotion mails (job band change) to everyone who were eligible for the same. Surprise again..this was my day - I didnt get one, though guys who joined after me and along with me got their promotion letters, i was doomed to remain a software engineer for another six months:P Well as far as my understanding goes, getting this promotion now or in december, does not matter much coz monetarily both the promotion groups (now n decembers) get salary promotion (personal Band change) only next April!!:)))So that was the only relief i had for the day.
Now the only reason for the above, i could figure out in my little left sanity was that i had NOT passed a certification exam in finance/stocks (NCFM)sometime last october!! Why had i not passed when so many others had? coz i had lots n lots n lots of responsibilities, work which i could not ignore - lame excuse i guess. The end result of being sincere to work, i did not clear certification and hence maybe denied the promotion:P I even checked with my manager and she said she was surprised that i didnt get one and "promised" me that she would check as to why i was denied!!
Well the icing on the cake was when late in the evening, i get a call from some recruitment agency and the dude asks me where i work and in what field - i told him Infy- Mainframes. He asks me "mallu" whether i was willing to jump to IBM? i asked him my scope/ salary..and guess what he says ?? His response verbatim- "I suggest you stay in Infy. Its far better company - paywise/ opportunity wise comapred to IBM". There goes my inclination to jump from Infy!!:)
The world is not a fair place to live in , i guess. But then thats what every other dick (Tom, dick n harry - too long to type) says when things go against his favour!!!
Another day is here - nothing eventful, rather uneventful has happened till now. Oh no!! hold on - how can my streak of "good luck" not continue. My senior manager calls me and says there is an immediate onsite opportunity and that he needed me to go, esp since i had not got thru ISB now (i had delayed my onsite chances courtesy waiting for the result). I nodded yes to him and got back to my seat and then it struck me - any guesses??? My UK work-permit visa expired YESTERDAY!!!! I hate 28th February, 2006!! Well looking forward to many more "brighter" happenings for the day!!
Currently I am having a Mocachillo(a special mixture of iced espresso with chocolate and ice cream and whipped cream), sitting back n reviewing a code written by a fresher in my project. Who knows tomo , he may be my boss:P Anything is possible in the IT industry!!
Ciao!

No comments: