Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Solid P(a)unch!!

Not a very attractive thing - but then everyday i look into the mirror and first thing I notice is the ever so evident bulge (stop getting wild ideas - you perverts!:)) - I am talking of ....... my Paunch!! No matter what I do, how much of running, sit-ups, crunches I do - this just seems to haunt my otherwise good looking physique;)
I remember the time when I was a perfectly shaped (assumption: round/ sphere is a perfect shape) weighing nearly 85 kgs in my 8th std. One can well imagine my fitness during those days. I was the chubby dude of my class rolling all over the place when I claimed to be "walking". During sports day (pre-high school), the only race i consistently managed to win was the "Banana eating race" - for those of you who dont know this one,it is quite simple. The physical education sir blows the whistle, you peel the banana off, eat the whole banana, open your mouth to the sir and show you have eaten it completely (and not still chewing) and then you run the 100 meters to the finish line. And for 3 years (4th, 5th and 6th std) in a row I managed to win gold in this particular race (see the Nadal link;)). Then some wise guy decided to scrap this race and that was the end of my winning a medal/certificate for sports - atleast temporarily!
And thereafter, i continued on my mission of reaching 3 figures before I turned 15 years. But then like a silent robber came the attack. There was no forewarning, no hint. Just like every other year, I visited my home town - Mavelikara during the summer vacation in Doha. I had a marriage to attend - one of my cousins getting married. And another of my cousins came for the wedding with none other than.....CHICKEN POX!!!!!A week from then, it had penetrated through the layers of protection I had over me - all that layers of fat I had pain stakingly accumulated over the past years proved of no use! I had it and a pretty severe attack. From 85Kgs, courtesy the pox, I reduced to about 60 kgs - a pretty decent weight for someone who was 14 years old;) - Hallelujiah!!I had become normal:) From then on I was just like any other normal kid and not abnormally huge. I started playing football more frequently. My history in sports was re-written. I started winning some medal or the other during the school sports day though there were no eating competitions anymore - went to the extent of representing my school for high-jump and relay. And came out quite successful to say the least without blowing my horns too much.
Anyway having said all these - one thing that has remained with me is my paunch - even chicken pox could not get rid of that one:( and 1 year of gym could still not get rid of that one. I still continue to dream of that day when I can show off a six-pack or a 4-pack but that always seems to be in the horizon. Everytime I feel that I am near it, within grasps of it, I see it going farther away!!!I dread the day when I may end up looking like many of the elders in the family - pot-bellied and sporting a proud thick moustache!!(typical malayalee):P
Anyway, all things said, after so many years of struggle and fighting, I am finally getting used to the sight of it..slowly coming to terms with the fact that "it" is there to remain - a sign of prosperity, a sign of good health, an asset passed down from generations

No comments: