Thursday, July 15, 2004

"Bend it like Beckham"??

Well past 2 days hardly got any time to blog. one of those rare occassions when you are actually bogged down by work and dont have time to think..forget blogging..!!:-)
Life has become pretty mundane. Nothing interesting going on. off late due to extreme work pressure even football has come to a standstill - secondary reason being the ball has very less air in it and kicking it now on a windy day...it would bend like how Beckham manages to do it.
Speaking of Beckham, recently watched the movie "Bend it like Beckham" yet again and i wonder if Beckham actually intend to kick the ball so that it curves or does it happen just naturally for him. Intersting question eh?
I remember when i started playing football way back in standard 6, even i used to curve the ball..though unintentional and after getting into college and being selected as Centre back for College football team, my services were always called upon for free kick/ corner, the only main reason being - I could curve the ball in the last moment taking the Opponent goal keeper n players by surprise.
And trust me when i say this (ok, i am demeaning myself now) I never intended to curve the ball. I just used to take a small run up and kick the ball and voila 9/10 times it used to curve. Dont ask me how. it just used to happen and during that 1/10 chances when it didnt curve, i used to look at the spot from where i kicked , frusturation and anger glowing on my face (very similar to Beckham's reaction after his spot kick against Portugal in recently concluded Euro2004 quarters went into infinity).

Probably i can console myself that i have got the inborn talent of curving the ball without having to try hard.
hehe..!!
The only times i felt guilty was when my team mates or juniors used to ask me on how to kick the ball so that it curves...i used to tell them tall tales...askin them to kick the ball with a particular portion of the foot so that it curves and lucky enough for me at times when try tried it..it did curve and my image remained intact:-) (as a good player and as a good coach;-))
Ok guys..i can see all the rage and criticism coming in from all those ppl whom i have "coached" if ever they read my blog. Sorry ppl...:-)))
And my footballing career (whatever little) i owe it to my build..(oh boy! aint i hefty) and the fact that i am a left footer..!!Being left footer had always helped me getting easily into a team and my willingness to play defense. Cmmon who in th world would love to play defense. Everyone wants to score goals.
Well I too had started off playing as a forward in 8th std.But my gauche endings in front of the opponent goal post (at times not even the goal keeper would have been there) forced me to rethink on my playin strategy and arrived at the wise conclusion that i was not made to play forward. I decided to shift myself down and become a midfielder. I was successful when we used to play Inter-class/ Intra murals tournament in school...and seeing my enthusiasm the coach pulled me in as a reserve for the school team. But then the glory days were soon to be lost. In the interschool i had to run so much as a midfielder and with my bulk...within 10 min of play, i was gasping for breath.
There i reworked my strategy to stay in the team.I didnt have much options. I pushed myself to play defence, gracefully giving others the chance to make play and score:-)
And since then thanks to my bulk and the "Bend it like Beckham" abilities, I have stuck on in the team - school n college n even in infy football team. I didnt have to run much and i could use my build to the full use and only ocassionaly using my natural footballing skills!!! Another thing i was famous for was the sudden burst of energy which i displayed on field when i got possession of the ball and would just make a run with it to the opponent goal only to squander away the ball in a completely gawkish manner!!
reading so much i thing anyone could very well guess who my role model is - yeah ROBERTO CARLOS.

- known for being attackin defender and his power filled free kicks.I swear he would die of fits if he knew he is my role model in football followed by chance happening of reading my blog.
God save all those ppl who think i play real good football!!

No comments: