Thursday, July 15, 2004

My Experiments in the Kitchen

Hmmm.....believe me when i say i never in my dreams thought that I would be cooking at any point of my life. I remember my mom used to keep asking me what if my betrothed was ignorant of cooking and i had a steady response always "I will make sure she knows cooking before i get married to anyone".
But we have all heard the common saying "Necessity is the mother of invention" and miracle of miracles....i was forced into cooking after joining my office Edinburgh. The main reasons being:
1. It is not everyday that you can eat half boiled vegeatbles and half cooked stuff at canteen
2. The amount spend in cafeteria is almost double what it would be if i cooked at home.

So takin all these factors into consideration, i plunged into the world of cookery. The inspiration to cook, i must admit, came from my flat mate in blore as well as here in edin burgh now - Randeep Basu. He is the main cook. I cut the vegetables and mix the masala in the correct propportion while he starts cooking. And then he leaves it to me while i check the taste and add salt/pepper/whatever available to make it more spicy n hot - this taste in food can be attributed to me being a mallu, i guess and it does help when the other person is a Bong with similar food habits and is a non-veg too:-)))))
We had intially started with veg dishes experimenting various recipes and then one day, a weekend, we decided to try our hand on chicken. It is a point worth mentioning that both of us were new to cooking (atleast i was and i guess so was he) and cutting and cookin chicken was a dream for us.
And we decided to make this dream a reality. And you should have been there to taste it - yummy yum:-). That day we realised that if not for anything atleast for survival sakes we could cook n eat tasty food:-)
Potato (aaloo) has become our staple food coz no matter what dish we prepare, that seems to be the main ingredient - aaloo baingan, aaloo gobi, aaloo dum, aaloo mutter, Gobi dum, rasam, sambar, dal , rice and once even aaloo parathas. Rice, samabar, dal and rasam are generally made by other falt mate here - Vinay V who is a pure vegetarian though after being in our company, he has slowly started eating eggs:-). He makes excellent Sambar/Rasam/Dal, provided he has the mood.:-) But after coming onsite, by far the best sambar has been prepared by Srijith - one of my colleagues and u can call him my ML (module leader) as well.Excellent.
The intial days of cooking were filled with enthu when we used to get up in the morning and cook lunch in all zest n vigor.
But off late the drive has gone. Have to get some new recipes, i guess in order to get the old enthu back again in cooking.
All in all i can say - My lucky wife;-)

No comments: